The plan for Ft. Erie is to met at St. Paul’s at 10AM on July 25. If the tour is quick we could go on a hike at Tift Nature Farm. The Pack will pay for the boys and it is less than $5 for adults. The boys need to have a copy of their birth certificates.

Can a minor under 18 travel to another country without their parents?

Minors may be able to travel to another country without either one of their parents, as long as they have a notarized written consent letter from both parents. Minors interested in doing this should contact the embassy to address admissibility questions. A list of embassy’s and entry requirements can be obtained at or call the embassy by phone.


If a child is traveling with only one parent or someone who is not a parent or legal guardian, what paperwork should the adult have to indicate permission or legal authority to have that child in their care?

Adults traveling in or out of the U.S. with children under the age of 18 should be aware of the following: because of increasing incidents of child abductions in disputed custody cases and as possible victims of child pornography, Customs and Border Protection strongly recommends that unless the child is accompanied by both parents, the adult have a note from the child’s other parent (or, in the case of a child traveling with grandparents, uncles or aunts, sisters or brothers, or friends, a note signed by both parents) stating “I acknowledge that my wife/husband/etc. is traveling out of the country with my son/daughter. He/She/They has my permission to do so.”

CBP also suggests that this note be notarized. While CBP may not ask to see this documentation, if we do ask, and you do not have it, you may be detained until the circumstances of the child traveling without both parents can be fully assessed.

If there is no second parent with legal claims to the child (deceased, sole custody, etc.) any other relevant paperwork, such as a court decision, birth certificate naming only one parent, death certificate, etc., would be useful.

Adults traveling with children should also be aware that, while the U.S. does not require this documentation, many other countries do, and failure to produce notarized permission letters and/or birth certificates could result in travelers being refused entry. (Canada has very strict requirements in this regard.)

All children who are U.S. citizens should also have a certified copy of their birth certificate or baptism record for ID. Children over the age of 14 are also required to have a photo ID. If traveling outside of the Western Hemisphere, a Passport is required.

Documentation for children will change when the new Western Hemisphere Initiative rules change.

As announced by DHS and DOS on February 22, 2007, U.S. and Canadian citizen children under the age of 16 and children age 18 and under traveling in a designated school or youth group can carry birth certificates. U.S. children can also present Consular Reports of Birth Abroad or Certificates of Naturalization.

Mexican nationals, including children, are currently required to present an entry document that denotes identity and citizenship, and therefore there is little to no expectation of disruption to these families from WHTI

*Lawful permanent residents (LPRs), refugees, and asylees will continue to be able to use their Alien Registration Card (Form I-551), issued by DHS, or other valid evidence of permanent residence status or refugee or asylee status to apply for entry to the United States.

Permission to Travel to Canada